Members of SHOL are:
Christopher Skepper-trumpet; Chris Pappas-tenor sax; Nashua Lee-guitar; John O'Hagan-double bass; Chris Lewis-drums.
Buy songs and album here: www.shol.bandcamp.com
SHOL is a quintet from Melbourne that has been performing and
recording since 2012. They are a contemporary jazz ensemble whose
original compositions cover hard bop, free jazz, world and soul
music. They have developed a personal and unique ensemble sound
and are all composers in their own right.
All the members of SHOL have paid their musical dues over a period of many years performing, composing and collaborating with many of Australia’s finest jazz musicians. Now these musicians have come together forming a solid and highly experienced unit writing original compositions for their musical inspirations, paying homage to Coltrane, Coleman, Davis, Monk, Mingus, Taylor, Blakey etc. The music takes you on a journey exploring melodic themes, moods and rhythmic textures, building on compositions demanding freedom in improvisation.
“Shol prove themselves to be fearless, and rightly so. As improvisers
they are inventive, soulful and adventurous. Their interaction is
exemplary, similar to supergroups as the Cookers, to mention yet
another band that looks to the spirit of post-bop for inspiration. By
creating this delightful labor of love and devotion, Shol can affirm
that it definitely pays to follow the straight and narrow path.”
Nikos Fotakis, AustralianJazz.net, January 2015
“Shol have certainly developed a most engaging sound and their original pieces reflect a commitment to thoughtful, intelligent composition.”
Jack Beamish-Jazz Spectrum Oct’14
Wednesday August 3rd @ Bar 303; 303 High st. Northcote - with supports. Music starts at 8PM. $10 entry.
Monday August 2nd @ Bar 303; 303 High st. Northcote 8PM with Bohjass. Free or donation.
Thursday, April 8th @ Wesley Anne front bar; 250 High St. Northcote. 6PM - 8PM. Free.
Monday April 12th @ Bar 303; 303 High St. Northcote
8PM with BOHJASS. Free.
*Sunday March 29th @ Bar 303 Northcote with various artists. SHOL performance 8:30PM
* Friday April 3rd @ Wesley Anne, High St. Northcote 6PM-8PM. Free in the Front Bar
* Sunday May 10th @ Chapel off Chapel for STONNINGTON JAZZ FESTIVAL; 5:30PM. Tickets @ stonningtonjazz.com.au
* Wednesday, January 22nd @ Bar 303, High st. Northcote 8:00PM. Free.
* Wednesdays, February 5, 12, 19 & 26 with Tom Fryer Band @ Bar 303, High st. Northcote 8:00PM. Free.
SHOL album launch on Saturday
November 16th @ The Jazz Lab, Leslie st. East Brunswick 6-8PM.
* Saturday November 2nd @ Open Studio, High st. Northcote 5:30pm-7:30pm. $10/5.
* Sunday November 10th @ Lebowski's, Cross st. Brunswick.
*Wednesdays, November 20th and 27th @ Bar 303, High st. Northcote 8:00PM. Free.
* Saturday November 23rd @ Wesley Anne, 250 High st. Northcote 6:00pm-8:00pm. Free.
* Saturday August 3rd @ Open Studio, High St. Northcote 5:30-7:30PM. $10.
*Sunday June 30th @ Clifton Hill Brew Pub 89 Queens Pde. Clifton Hill. 5:00pm-8:00PM. Free.
*Thursday July 25th @ The Factory 5 Frederick st. Northcote. 8:30PM. Donation.
*Wednesdays July 3, 24 and 31 @ Bar 303 Northcote.
303 High St. Northcote. 8:30PM plus two support bands.
*Friday May 31st @ Wesley Anne 250 High St. Northcote.
6:00PM; Free in the front bar.
* Wednesday May 1st @ Paris Cat Jazz Club, Goldie Place CBD. 8:30PM; $20/15
*Thursday April 11th @ Jasper's Jazz Club, Goldie Plc. CBD. 8:30PM $20